I remember walking into a store of essential oils while on one of my shopping trips in Singapore. The difference between what I felt a few minutes before and literally seconds after entering the store, was just so stark! The aroma of their calming blend immediately put me at ease. That was enough to have me sold on these tiny bottles of wonder.
But if that wasn’t enough, the woman who walked up to me from behind the counter, a 40+ and very graceful, had this glowing beautiful skin. She was the visiting aromatherapist who would come into the store for facial appointments. Her skin and her presence both were reminiscent of ‘royalty’. That’s when I knew that essential oils are some of the best skin care and natural beauty tools that we could use as laymen (or rather lay girls!).
Essential Oils are basically nature’s goodness packed in tiny bottles.
These are derived from aromatic plant extracts and are beneficial in a variety of ways for our mental, emotional and physical well-being. They can help you relax and rejuvenate, sleep well, treat seasonal ailments and improve your skin and hair.Here are a few amazing ways in which essential oils are beneficial for skin and hair.
- Homemade facial scrub– Add a few drops of lavender oil to rolled oats, or sugar, for a nice smoothing scrub.
- Dry or chapped skin and lips – Rub a few drops of Lavender oil on dry or chapped skin and lips.
- Bye Bye Blemishes – Mix 5 drops tea tree oil with 1 tablespoon of raw honey and use as a wash for reducing blemishes. This helps in reducing acne too.
- Lustrous hair – Mix two drops each of lemon, peppermint, and lavender essential oils with one ounce of a carrier oil—olive oil or almond oil. Massage the mixture into your scalp, allowing it to soak for as little as 15 minutes and as long as overnight. Shampoo and condition as usual and enjoy a healthier scalp.
- Get Rid Of Suntan – Mix Aloe Vera gel with several drops of lavender essential oil in a bottle and keep in the fridge. Apply as required on the sun-baked skin.
- Dry cracked feet – Add 3 drops of lavender oil to 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Apply to feet at night and put on socks. Wake up to smooth beautiful feet.
- Foot bath – Add a few drops of lemon or eucalyptus oil to a large bowl of warm water and dip your feet to soothe them. It relaxes you and helps you sleep better.
- Relaxing Bath – For a relaxing spa-like bath, mix 1-3 drops of eucalyptus essential oil into a carrier oil like coconut, almond, or jojoba and pour the mixture into a hot bath before stepping in. Inhaling the strong aroma can alleviate respiratory troubles, and promote relaxation.
- Lemon Toner– In a small spray bottle add ½ tbsp. lemon juice, 1 ½ cups distilled water, and 1-2 drops lemon essential oil. Shake the ingredients well and place the bottle in the fridge and use when needed. This lemon toner stays good for 1-2 weeks.
- For Dandruff, dry scalp–Supercharge your shampoo to get rid of dandruff. Add 10 drops of tea tree oil to an eight ounce (236 ml) bottle of organic shampoo. Shake bottle gently before each use.
Important: If you have particularly sensitive skin, or when applying essential oils on children, it is a good idea to use carrier oils like Coconut, Jojoba, Almond or another oil of your choice. By diluting the essential oil with a carrier oil, you can avoid the development of skin sensitivity, especially when you are trying new oil for the first time.
The recommended ratio for dilution is typically three drops of carrier oil for every single drop of essential oil.
Please drop your questions and comments below. I would love to hear from you
Let’s connect on my Facebook page: here
You can order our Essential Oils here : here